Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes


When I first discovered this recipe I was completely taken aback. I thought I could never get it right but I decided to try them anyway. While the resulting images were no where near as good as they could be the taste was phenomenal and I have made red velvet cupcakes and red velvet cake several time since. I love red velvet cake so much I had it as my wedding cake (although it was "blue" velvet for that occasion) and even TheHusband has a great fondness, I know this because he only requests 2 things by name, "Hummus im basar" (Hummus with lamb) and these beauties

The first couple of times I made them I used a chocolate buttercream icing. It wasn't bad but these babies were made to go with a cream cheese icing (and also apparently boiled icing which I haven't yet tried to make...yet). They are essentially chocolate cup cakes but with so much more decadence. Fun to make to as you throw the baking powder into the vinegar and watch it all fizzle.  

If ever you need to start sifting your dry ingredients it's with these beauties. The more air the batter has the more velvety it is and trust me you want them as velvety and light as possible. This however also means that the cake is a delicate one and doesn't do well will too many layers (perfect for cupcakes though).

What you need for the cupcakes:
½ cup butter
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp red food colouring
1 tsp salt
2 ½ cups flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vinegar

What to do:
Preheat oven to 180°C and line your cupcake tray. Cream the butter then beat in the sugar gradually.  Add the eggs - one at a time -beating well after each addition.  Make a paste of the cocoa and food colouring and add to the creamed mixture.  Add the salt, flour, vanilla extract and buttermilk, beating well after each addition.   Sprinkle the baking soda over the vinegar and then pour the vinegar over the batter.  Mix well. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the cupcakes bounce back.

What you need for the icing:
  • 448g cream cheese, softened
  • 115g butter, softened
  • 250g sifted confectioners' sugar
  • 5ml vanilla extract

What to do:
In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter until creamy(I gave me a hearty mix so that it got as white as possible). Mix in the vanilla, then gradually stir in the confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator after use.

I decoreated mine with some Vanilla Man Vanilla Coco Grinder

10 comments:

  1. So pretty! Mad icing skillz too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes I forgot to mention that the icing was done with a sandwich bag with one corner cut off. The icing was so soft from beating it so hard it was easy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made red velvet cupcakes for my 24x24 meal - they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoohoo well done. Where did you get the pretty red papers from??? I also heart red velvet xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tandy: I saw that, these were a special request from TheHusband

    Colleen: Pick n Pay if I recall. If I see another pack before FoodClub will grab them for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on the yummy cupcakes! I can't wait to try them as they're own of our favourites too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've loved red velvet since I first laid eyes on it and more since I actually tasted it. I had a recipe for red velvet cake that involved a lot more work and wasn't nearly as yummy! Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's my pleasure :) Glad you enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is genius! I will be industriously producing this nommables in short order.

    Also, your blog just won the internet LR. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blush* Thank you :) I must warn you they have a trick. They disappear when you're not looking

      Delete