Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Journey to India Part III - Mint & Peanut chutney

After a short trip west we are back on our Journey through my Indian plate of food with Mint & Peanut chutney



I know most people in South Africa see a bottle of Mr. Ball's when they hear the word chutney, so when I was first offered this dish I was expecting just that...only with peanuts inside. I was very surprised and happy when something similar to what you see in the picture was placed in front of me.

If you have ever visited an Indian restaurant you have more then likely had a basket of papadums put on your table while you wait for your food. With the papadums, often already on the table there are often some things to eat with them. Preserved lemons, chilli sauce and something green. That green stuff is mint chutney. Most places use buttermilk as their base (which I did) although traditionally, according to my boss, you use tamarind juice. I didnt have the time to find some of that so went with the buttermilk. This is a really simple dish that you can serve on a snack platter or as part of the meal.

What you need:
3 packets mint
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 packet raw peanuts
2 cloves garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste

What to do:
Heat up a dry pan and pop the raw peanuts in, keeping htem moving so they dont burn. Once the peanuts are brown all over throw them and everything else into a food processor and pulse. If needed, add a bit more buttermilk, you can chose the consistency you want.

See I told you it was easy

The Shopping List

No comments:

Post a Comment